About Me

The Unknown Path, United States
"Deacon" means servant, and if this blog could be a true and humble servant to the artists who participate, and the instrument it celebrates, then mission accomplished. "Well done, thy good and faithful servant..."

August 07, 2008

Melody From Heaven--by guest blogger, Mrs. Brandon Findlay

Recently my husband and I watched an ambitiously powerful film called "The Red Violin". Shot in 5 countries, it follows the "life" of its title subject across centuries, characters, and continents. It reminded me of how what we usually look upon as "mere objects" have rich histories behind their scenes, and a world of significance far beyond function alone.

Until the day I was born, I was going to be called "Melody" until the soulful influence of Mrs. Ike Turner won out, and gave me something I also share with Ginger on Gilligan's Island, that is, our names are both "Tina". But maybe my mother sensed something beyond what she could even explain, a destiny of music deep in my code, even before I sang my way out of the womb.

My "pre-name" of Melody was something Brandon decided to honor when he obtained his 1999 Paul Reed Smith McCarty Soapbar guitar, a model discontinued this past year. I've learned from him that a guitar is not just a guitar; in the words of the best-selling musicians' magazine, it is a "guitar world". At our house, Melody is a sibling of Maya, Midnight, and Marcus. "She" came into our life carrying the vibes of at least 2 other great musicians we cherish and admire, from the walls of Dirk Newton's Guitar Shop in East Village, and the hands of Karen Harrison from the Soapbox Prophets (who I just heard on the radio 10 minutes ago--shout out to them and to 99.1 KFMG-FM).

Melody was paid for in stages, patiently received by our friend Karen. Before that, she was perused and fawned over, on and off the wall, by Brandon at Dirk's place. Brandon first spotted her and thought of how much she reminded him of an awesome guitar belonging to Karen. Shortly after to his delight, he discovered that this was indeed the very guitar of Karen's that he had always admired from afar.

Since her initial arrival at our home, Melody has lit up many a song, concert, and the Lady Blue CD, with the light of her unique smooth tone (that's another Brandon principle I've been blessed to learn about, the importance of tone). It was she who gently coaxed me into a much higher level of guitar interest and knowledge, and her interaction with my husband's artistry has opened my eyes about the craft, musicianship, and overall mastery involved in the world of the guitar.

One of these days, I may have to finally clip my diva fingernails and jump into the journey of Melody in a more, shall we say, hands-on way. She has, like the red violin of the movie, a story of her own that transcends all those fortunate enough to cross her path for a time. While we're the lucky ones living with her now, I intend to take full advantage of the mysteries she has to share. As the hymn says, in our hearts (and hands) there rings a Melody of love. And she definitely has a destiny of music deep in her code, a destiny we are delighted to share with her, and all her siblings at home, for at least a little while.

1 comment:

Deacon said...

Way to go! 'Bout time someone posted something to my blog!

Much love,
Deacon