About Me

The Unknown Path, United States
"Deacon" means servant, and if this blog could be a true and humble servant to the artists who participate, and the instrument it celebrates, then mission accomplished. "Well done, thy good and faithful servant..."

April 21, 2008

...Midnight Wine, the band

From previous posts, you might have gathered that there is a band that shares names with this blog. I thought I might take this opportunity to shine this facet of the diamond known as "Midnight Wine"

First, this is the (albeit edited and "fixed) biography I wrote and submitted for the band's recent debut performance [see blog "...the 2008 Iowa Blues Challenge"]

MIDNIGHT WINE - A biography

“Midnight Wine” is an old feeling for the Deacon. It’s also a new musical group, formed to celebrate the chemistry and passion he has shared over the last few years with the three dear friends who round out the project. But what is Midnight Wine?

“Midnight Wine started as just a feeling of sorts, and as I matured through school and college, I had a lot of experiences that served to instruct me in the way this world works. I found great mentors who taught me how to teach myself; I read, saw, witnessed and experienced many great moments in life that helped to build a strong and vital spirit within. And over the last four years of my life, I have been incredibly blessed to create art with many great people, literally legends and giants who walk among us. These are the people who have shown me the deepest meaning of music and art. That’s the soul of the blues and every great form of music, and that’s what I want to live to celebrate everyday I’m blessed to walk this earth.”

Joining Deacon in the good times are pianist/organist David Larson, bassist/multi-instrumentalist Joe Koelling, and drummer/percussionist Mike Woods. “I met David in the summer of 2004 and we became friends right away. We shared a mutual appreciation for music and we had the chance to perform together several times that summer. David is one of those rare talents who transcend the genres and borders that others put in front of him, and just simply serves the song in a beautiful way. He is one of the most versatile, passionate and deep-rooted musicians I know.”

Deacon also met Koelling that same summer, and like-wise, was impressed by the sheer musicianship he saw. “I sat in for some rehearsals at Great Plains Studios, which Joe owned and operated at the time. When Lady Blue, the band my wife and I formed, went to record a CD in the fall of 2006, we reconnected with Joe and, again, there was a deep appreciation and trust between us. He is such a complete, multi-talented artist, and my eyes were opened to what one musician can bring out in someone when given the chance.”

The last piece of the puzzle came in the person of Mike Woods, a drummer of immense talent and incredible humility. Woods and Deacon were introduced by Koelling at Kaleidoscope Sonic Lab Recording Studios in Urbandale, of which Koelling and Deacon are both partner-owners. “Joe had been talking non-stop about this insane drummer who was coming into sessions and just knocking everyone over on the first take. Being that Joe wasn’t easily impressed by anything, I checked out Mike for myself. It was over. He truly possesses every trait you could want in a drummer and fellow musician. He acts and performs like the contest champion he is. Chops and taste that don’t run out, and that’s just the start.”

But what is Midnight Wine and what connection does it have to the Blues? “Midnight Wine is my symbol for the life I’ve made for myself. It’s the heartache, it’s the joys, it’s the consequences of every bad choice I’ve made and the blessings of every right choice I’ve chosen. It’s my heart and soul, and it’s what drives me to be the best I can be and treat this world with love and gratitude. And if that has nothing to do with the blues, then we all should just give up now, ‘cause we’re all done for.”

A fair introduction to the band, but only if there would be more to say- and there is. I look forward to delving into the three musicians that occupy this specific group with yours truly, as well as getting into the psyche and genesis of the whole "MW" concept that is spawning all of this.

In closing, posting these small but significant pieces of my own puzzle is helping me to find clear focus on several fronts for the first time in a long while. I think often of a famous Jimmy Page quote, given in retrospection of Led Zeppelin's legacy and his vision. He envisioned Zeppelin as a multi-faceted diamond, through which all their myriad influences could shine as well as be recast as something beautifully new. It would sound both soft and hard, light and heavy. From time to time , it seems he, no they, were the visionaries of their time who brought these elements together and summoned forth this deep greatness that so many of their peers, as well as mine, rob and thieve without consideration of birthrights.

My partners and I are working with similar spirit; whether it's honoring the blues both outside ourselves as well as within each other through MW the band, or the partnership that oversees Kaleidoscope CreatiVEntures crafting new ways of approaching their motto: "the art of our business is art." We live in exciting times that call for steadfast dedication to true visionary mindsets as well as to possess a loyal sense of integrity to honor the deep wellspring from which this all flows.

Consider perspective: whether it is one band changing one life one song at a time, or one small group of determined people not surrendering to the imposing tide of this world's debilitating apathy, just remember this quote, and maybe we'll catch you on the flip side...


To Journey without being Changed is to be a nomad,
To Change without Journeying is to be a chameleon,
To Journey and be Transformed is to be a Pilgrim.
(Mark Nepo, philosopher, poet, author).
_____________
Several things to check out from this blog. I learned of the Nepo quote from Dick Staub's excellent "Christian Wisdom of the Jedi Knight", but Nepo's quote is proof-positive that his writing is worth further investigation. I should not have to encourage one's need to discover (or rediscover if the flame burns low) the wonder and majesty of Led Zeppelin's catalog. Some of the greatest musical art ever committed to tape. Of course, if you would like to fancy crafting your own wonder and majesty to tape and need assistance, Midnight Wine, as part of the Kaleidoscope CreatiVEntures can more than assist you in the process. This blog is part of a whole inter-connected series of blogs that will be launched on a more grand scale very soon!

No comments: